£80,000 to £85,000 plus excellent benefits, including up to 10% employer pension contributions and an annual incentive scheme (Work Level 4)
Manchester City Centre
This is a UK remote first role. There may be a need for you to come into the Manchester office once or twice a month to connect with the team. Those living close to Manchester will also have the option to work in the office if desired. You can find out more about our hybrid working policy at colleagues.coop.co.uk/hybrid-working-policy
We’re open to applications from candidates who may require flexible working arrangements. There’ll be an opportunity to discuss your flexible working requirements during the interview process, and at offer stage.
We’re looking for a Principal Engineer to join our Engineering team at Co-op, as part of our Technology team. Working across all our Co-op business areas, you’ll lead on the delivery of great solutions for customers, members, and colleagues. If you can bring the hands-on experience, technical credibility, and excellent leadership that we’re after, we can offer you the chance to pioneer change at Co-op.
Depending on your focus, as a Principal Engineer you’ll take ownership of the implementation approach and architectural choices around the delivery of software-based products and systems or of the platforms that support them. You’ll work alongside a team of great engineers to deliver key products, services or platforms while aligning with our technical standards. It’ll be a broad role, where you’ll be involved in architecture and technical delivery, helping to break down complex problems and identify steps towards solutions, mentoring colleagues, engaging with non-technical senior leaders, and guiding teams to create good software, systems and platforms. We’re a passionate community of designers, developers, platform and data specialists here at Co-op, and this could be the perfect opportunity for you to join us on our journey of digital transformation.
What you’ll do
- Guide engineering delivery for multiple, customer or colleague-facing products, services or platforms
- Provide engineering direction for a large multi-disciplinary team for several products or platforms
- Help to maintain a focus on our standards and quality approach, and that our colleagues are doing things in a collaborative and efficient way
This role would suit people who have
- Hands-on experience in either software, platform engineering, front-end, or quality assurance with some supporting knowledge of the other fields
- Experience designing and developing multiple, enterprise-level web applications or cloud-based platforms
- Experience coaching and mentoring colleagues, and supporting them in their development
- Experience contributing to the technical element of medium-term plans and roadmaps, and shaping the capability within teams to deliver them
- The ability to guide architecture and design across major services or platform offerings based on modern software and services, hosted on cloud infrastructure
- The ability to guide teams to apply relevant engineering approaches such as infrastructure-as-code, test-driven development, build quality in, etc.
As a Co-op colleague, we can offer you a competitive salary and great benefits package which includes 30% off Co-op branded products in our food stores (as well as other discounts on Co-op products and services). You’ll also get:
- Private healthcare
- A company car or £6,000 car allowance
- An annual bonus (based on personal and business performance)
- 28 days holiday (rising to 32 with service) plus bank holidays
- A pension with up to 10% employer contributions
- Access to a subsidised onsite gym (at our Manchester HQ)
- Coaching and training to support your career development
- Wagestream – a money management app that gives you access to a percentage of your pay as you earn it
- YuLife – an app that rewards you for exercising with discounts and vouchers for your favourite brands
Building an inclusive work environment
At Co-op, we’re proud to do things a different way. As one of the world’s largest co-operatives, owned by millions of members, community is at the heart of what we do. Since our Co-op was founded in 1844, we’ve had a clear social purpose, and everything we do as a business helps to build a fairer world for our members, customers, colleagues, and communities.
We’re actively building diverse teams and we welcome applications from everyone. If you have a disability, we can make reasonable adjustments to our recruitment process according to your needs. We’re also part of the Disability Confident scheme, meaning we’ll always offer an interview to disabled candidates who apply through the scheme if they meet the minimum criteria for a job.
We’ll ask whether you’d like to be considered under the Disability Confident scheme when you apply.
If we invite you to take part in the recruitment process for any of our jobs, we’ll ask you if you need any reasonable adjustments to enable you to participate.
You can find out more about our recruitment process at jobs.coop.co.uk/apply-process.
You can find out more about the Disability Confident scheme and all our commitments to diversity and inclusion at colleagues.coop.co.uk/diversity-inclusion-and-wellbeing.Apply Now Back to listings