About the Role
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join Matalan’s UX team as a UX Researcher. Following the successful launch of their onsite UX Lab, they’re on a journey to learn and understand more about their customers so that they can shape the best shopping experience.
As the UX Researcher, you’ll play a vital role in conducting research using various qualitative and quantitative methods that will help influence design & business decisions. You’ll be working as part of an established UX team within the eCommerce department to propose, plan, facilitate, moderate and analyse results from behavioural & attitudinal research.
Working closely alongside their UX Designers in an agile environment, they use a mixed method approach to problem solve & generate hypotheses for experimentation, whilst at all times keeping the customer at the forefront of everything they do.
They’re a multichannel retailer, so you’ll also be able to conduct research on and offline to understand and optimize the omni-channel experience for all of their customers.
Experience of having ran or participated in user testing studies is desirable, as their new UX Lab will become a key facility in which to take Matalan UX research to new heights in the coming months.
- Propose, plan, facilitate, moderate and analyse results from user research, focus groups, usability testing and competitor and market research.
- Head Office based role with occasional store visits to conduct multichannel UX research
- Communicate research findings and recommendations across UX and product teams to drive informed design decisions and functionality enhancements.
- Conduct face-to-face and remote usability testing.
- Manage user research participant recruitment and/or be the point of contact with internal and external recruiting.
- Identify opportunities and propose most suitable research methods.
- Work closely with designers and analysts on recommendations to improve the UX.
- Inform and influence the broader product development teams to implement solutions that are best for the user in the context of overall business drivers, goals and vision.
- Design and conduct user studies in order to gauge the usability of new and existing product features
- Planning, designing and conducting in-house usability testing sessions to support the design and development of digital services.
- Leading the usability testing process from developing user recruitment briefs through to test moderation, analysis and report writing.
- Conducting in-house research to test the product to ensure the user need is fully understood in the service design.
- Working closely with designers and developers to turn user data into actionable product/service requirements that feed into prototype development, and influence product direction
- Presenting findings and related design/business recommendations and customer insights to senior decision makers.
- Suitable UX Research experience or within a similar research role
- Inquisitive and open mind set – someone who is eager to learn and develop within a team
- Basic knowledge of design principles and experimentation
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Excellent analytical, interpersonal, communication, negotiation and collaboration skills
- Sound experience in building collaborative relationships
- Strong customer focus and comfortable conducting qualitative research
- Work well under pressure with strong attention to detail and consistency
- Highly organised with a logical approach to challenges
- BA degree in a behavioural field (Sociology, Psychology) is desirable
Founded in the early 1980s by John Hargreaves in Liverpool, Matalan is a family retail business that is proud to serve its customer excellent quality at great value. With over 200 stores in the UK, a growing online presence and over 15,000 employees, working here is exciting, collaborative, challenging, and above all fun! As part of the Matalan family you can expect some great benefits and the opportunity to be part of their exciting vision – to become the UK’s most trusted value retailer. This is Retail Made Real.
In the event that a high volume of suitable applications are received, the post may close prior to the specified closing date. Please apply as soon as possible if interested.Apply Now Back to listings